Eating out isn’t always easy, especially when you’re doing your best to avoid fried foods and processed foods. A lot of times, placing a special order can take longer and end up coming back wrong anyway resulting in you having to choose between being late to your next destination or not eating at all…or worse, going through a drive through somewhere.
Thinking ahead and taking a few extra minutes to plan is really all you need to be able to support your healthy choices on the go. Traveling on airplanes is a bit more challenging, but we even manage to bring our Vitamix with us wherever we go.
I would suggest first off that if you’re in the car a lot or at the office where there’s no kitchen, to invest in a small freezer bag or cooler. You can easily take it with you wherever you go and store food or drinks that need to be kept at lower temperatures.
Here are a few Healthy Vegan Snack Ideas
1. Green Smoothies in a Jar. These are easy, nutrient packed and loaded with fiber. You can make a green smoothie or two in the morning, store them in sealed jars or in a to go cup with a strong lid. Jars are the best so the least amount of nutrients are lost by oxidation. Our Digestive Friendly Cheesy Miso Kale Salad would be another great option with the dressing pre-mixed in because kale takes a while to soften, making it a perfect option for carrying around with you for a while before eating it. You can also try out the Abundant Garden Salad with Sweet Ginger Tahini Dressing!
2. Kale Chips or Zucchini Chips. Bring a bag of dried veggie chips with you to snack on in between meetings or on a long drive.
3. Fresh fruit! Simple right? Apples, Bananas and Berries are very easy finger food for on the go and don’t make much of a mess in the process. Mangos and Papayas on the go are a different story, those require a little more attention. Bringing bags of fresh berries, whole apples and bananas can give you energy, loads of nutrition and more calories than you’ll get from vegetables. You need to get enough calories through out the day so you can focus without having cravings.
4. Salad in a jar. This is such a cool invention, I’m not sure who came up with it originally but it really makes taking a salad on the go much easier. Pour your dressing in the bottom of the jar, pile in your veggies and greens and store in your cooler bag (probably even fine without a cooler bag for an hour or two.) When you’re ready to enjoy your salad, just shake it upside down a few times to get the dressing mixed in and enjoy! P.S. – Don’t forget your fork.
5. Nuts, Seeds & Dried Fruit. These are good in small amounts, but in high amounts they can make you feel a little heavy and not as energized. Most trail mixes consist of things like goji berries, raisins, cashews, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds etc. You can pick up a really delicious Super Snack blend from HarmonicArts.ca or make your own at home.
6 . Raw Food energy bars. The only caveat with these is they usually use agave nectar which isn’t our preferred sweetener, but when you’re on a plane or in the middle of no where having one of these raw food bars is a really great options. The Organic Food Bars are pretty oily/high in fat so I find after eating 1 I don’t have much interest in eating another for a while. Here are a few plant-based food bars we’ve come across along our travels:
Base for Energy Balls:
- 12 Pitted Medjool Dates
- 1/2 Cup Cashews
- 1 Cup Coconut Flakes
- 2 tbsp. Almond or Coconut Butter
- 1 tbsp. Maca Powder
- 2 tbsp. Goji Berries
- 2 tbsp. Raisins
- 2 tbsp. Chia Seeds
- 2 tbsp. Sunflower Seeds
- 2 tbsp. Carob Powder (kind of tastes like light/caramel flavored chocolate)
- 1 Scoop Plant Based Protein Powder
Are you experienced in staying healthy on the go? What are your tips for the rest of us? Share them in the comments below!
Latest posts by Sheleana Aiyana (see all)
- Fight Aging and Get Radiant Skin with this Juice Recipe - Sep 3, 2015
- Start Your Morning with this Raspberry Goji Hemp Breakfast Bowl - Sep 2, 2015
- 7 Reasons to Start Your Day with a Green Smoothie - Sep 1, 2015