Need a new salad to infuse a little excitement into your take-to-work lunches? This one will do the trick! Loaded with antioxidant-rich dried tart cherries, creamy avocado, omega 3-rich walnuts and a whole lot of crunchy veggies, it’s sure to be a favourite.
Summertime Quinoa and Greens Salad
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 12 mins
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 4 cups mixed greens (I used a blend of beet greens, baby kale, spinach and Swiss chard), sliced into shreds
- ½ avocado, peeled, pitted and diced into small pieces
- 2 cups raw broccoli, cut into very small florets
- 1 cup yellow corn defrosted or well-rinsed and drained if previously canned
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
Boil the quinoa in a small pot with the water for 10-12 minutes or until grains are puffy and water is absorbed. Set it aside in a bowl to cool.
In a large bowl, combine the remaining salad ingredients.
Whisk together the dressing or shake it up in a mason jar.
When quinoa has cooled, add it into the salad and drizzle the dressing over top. (You may have leftovers, depending on how much you like to use.)
Toss to coat, then let the salad sit for 5-10 minutes so that the flavours can develop.
Latest posts by Angela Simpson (see all)
- Light and Luscious: Lemon Coconut Pie Smoothie - Jul 13, 2015
- 3 Ingredient Recipe: Maca Maple Dusted Cashews - Jul 13, 2015
- Clean Eating Recipe: Summertime Quinoa and Greens Salad - Jun 15, 2015