Making this elixir is a quick and easy way to reduce inflammation and feed your microbiome.
According to the Department of Health and Human Services¹ and the American Heart Association², chronic inflammation might cause diseases such as atherosclerosis, arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, food intolerances, diabetes, Fibromyalgia, heart disease and in some cases even cancer. It also accelerates the aging process.
Much recent research suggests that our microbiome³ – colonies of bacteria and other microbes living in our bodies – may be one of the main factors determining your health and longevity. Feeding health promoting gut bacteria with a healthy diet is one of the best ways to invest in your wellness.
- Turmeric, ginger and cinnamon are known for their anti-inflammatory compounds, but they’re also considered “microbiome superspices”.
- Chia seeds are rich in water-soluble and insoluble fiber, which feeds healthy gut bacteria and promotes good digestion, detoxification, nutrient absorption and elimination functions.
A good quality probiotic supplement may help increase good bacteria in the gut.
All these ingredients work together synergistically to promote good health and make you energized for the day.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ¼ cup coconut milk (full fat)
- 1.5 cup water (warm or cold)
- ¼ teaspoon liquid probiotic
- Optional: stevia (to taste) or a few dates
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Soak chia seeds in water for at least 10 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients in a blender (including chia seeds and their soaking water) and blend until smooth and well combined.
- Enjoy on an empty stomach in the morning!
If you use a low-fat coconut milk, then increase the amount of coconut milk and decrease the amount of water.
This is not considered a meal replacement, as it’s too low in calories, but only an addition to a healthy morning routine.