They smell and taste like Christmas and create that super cozy holiday feeling! Unlike regular cookies, this healthier version doesn‘t contain any added sugar – only natural sugar from dates. Dates are not only a great source of sugar, but also fiber, potassium, calcium, magnesium and copper. So much better than your regular processed sugar.
This recipe is also free of animal saturated fat and contains some healthy coconut oil instead.
These cookies are fragrant, spicy and crunchy! A perfect addition to a cozy cup of tea, or you can even crumble some on top of your smoothie bowl (a great replacement for granola) or breakfast porridge.
Yields: about 12 cookies
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Lemon juice of half lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup walnuts + additional for decorating.
- 3-4 tablespoons dried cranberries
- ¼ cup water (more of less, to facilitate the blending of the dates)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a blender, add the dates, ginger root, lemon juice, and water and blend until smooth.
- Add the coconut oil and continue blending until well combined.
- In a mixing bowl, add rolled oats, spelt flour, flax seeds, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, and mix well.
- Add the blended mixture to the bowl and stir well until everything is combined. Then add the walnuts and cranberries and stir until evenly combined.
- Form the cookies and place them on a baking sheet. Decorate with walnut pieces.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes.