I love bananas for many reasons. They’re full of B vitamins which are important for digestion, metabolism of nutrients and energy production, easy to digest carbohydrates that will give you a great boost of energy, along with lots of fiber.
Bananas are considered ripe when there is no green left on the peel and a few brown spots are present. The type of carbohydrate in bananas vary depending on their ripeness. If you eat unripened bananas, the sugars in them will be in their starch form which can be hard on digestion and may cause constipation.
Once your bananas are ripe, almost all the sugars will have been converted to glucose and fructose which are easier to digest and can actually be used to relieve constipation. You can use bananas in place of dairy to make a creamy and very sweet smoothie.
- 2 fresh or frozen bananas
- 2 tbsp hemp or chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla bean
- 1 cup coconut water or regular water
Directions: Place all ingredients in a blender, blend and enjoy.
Latest posts by Ali Washington (see all)
- 5 Ways to Listen to Your Body for Deeper Awareness and Personal Power - Sep 7, 2015
- Apricot Bliss Smoothie - Apr 11, 2014
- 5 Daily Detox Recipes to Keep in Your Back Pocket - Apr 4, 2014