Last month, a friend asked me, “If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?” Tough question. But let’s think about this…
First off, this question is about health, not flavor. So let’s forget about our taste buds for right now. (Goodbye hazelnut gelato.) So what food would nourish your body best? My answer might surprise you.
It’s not kale, the “super green”.
It’s not high-protein legumes.
It’s not some anti-oxidant rich amazon berry.
It’s an avocado. Really. And by the end of this article, you’ll see why. You’ll also have 3 delicious, anti-inflammatory avocado smoothie recipes to try out!
Is Avocado the New Superfood?
Avocados are jammed-packed with healthy oils and nutrients that our bodies crave. Plus, one avocado a day can help prevent arthritis and joint pain, balance hormones, reduce symptoms of PMS and chronic fatigue.
When you put it that way, it’s easy to see why avocado might be the new super food.
- High in Healthy Fats – The “fat is bad”myth is over. And Avocado is rich in good fats that support joint, brain and skin health while helping us to establish and maintain a healthy weight.
- Heart Healthy – The high amount of oleic acid in avocado has been shown to support cardiovascular health and reduce risk of heart disease.
- Anti-Inflammatory – Avocado is one to the top foods for reducing inflammation in the body. It can even reduce arthritic conditions such as osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Women’s Health & Fertility – Avocados are a natural source of folate/folic acid, which is highly recommended to women who are planning on getting pregnant. Fun fact: Slice open an avocado, and you’ll see that the inside looks similar in shape to a woman’s womb and cervix. Interestingly, it takes exactly 9 months for an avocado to grow from blossom to ripe fruit. 😉
- Digestive Health – Avocados support proper digestive function and absorption of nutrients. Studies have shown that adding an avocado to a salad increases your absorption of fat-soluble antioxidants like lycopene and beta-carotene (vit A). Proper absorption of these antioxidants reduces your risk of cancer and degenerative disease.
- Natural Energy Booster – Instead of chugging down a coffee to get your energy back up, try an avocado to refuel your body. It works! Enjoy by itself, (add a pinch of real salt if you like), slice it up with tomato or add it to your salad for an instant energy boost.
3 Delicious Ways to Get Avocado in Your Diet!
1. Avocado Magic
This smoothie is one of the favorites of clients doing the free 3-Day Glowing Skin Diet. The delicious flavor of the basil combined with lime and orange gives a refreshing boost to your morning!
- 4 leaves lettuce, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lime, peeled & chopped
- ¼ cup avocado (approx ½ a large avocado)
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- 2 dates, pitted
- 2 cups water (or more as needed)
Method: Wash & prep all ingredients. If dates are hard soak for 5-10 minutes in water and drain before use. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. If necessary, add more water until desired consistency is reached.
2. Lean Mass Builder
This is a perfect post workout smoothie! While avocados were once withheld from muscle-building diets due to their high fat content, we now know that they provide a unique combination of nutrients that makes them a near-perfect lean-mass builder.
- ½ cup avocado (approximately 1 small avocado)
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup strawberries, frozen or fresh
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 scoops protein and/or superfood powder
Method: Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. If necessary, add more water until desired consistency is reached.
3. Clean & Green
This satisfying smoothie always leaves me wanting more ☺. The fennel and mint work to support digestive function while the vanilla bean elevates your mood and gets you ready to take on your day!
- ½ bulb fennel, chopped
- ¼ cup avocado (approx. ½large avocado)
- ½ grapefruit
- 1 tbsp fresh mint
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla bean powder
- ½ tsp spirulina powder (opt)
- 1 date, pitted (opt)
Method: Wash & prep all ingredients. If date is hard soak for 5-10 minutes in water and drain before use. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. If necessary, add more water until desired consistency is reached.
So, if you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be? 😉 Let us know in the comments below!
Latest posts by Krystal Vrba (see all)
- Avocado Magic Green Smoothie For Glowing Skin and Healthy Joints - May 14, 2015
- Dairy Free and Super Healthy Mint Chocolate Protein Smoothie - May 11, 2015
- Krystals Healthy Raw Chia Breakfast Bomb! - May 11, 2015