Caleb and I are spending some time with a friend of ours in San Diego this week, and introducing him to the Young and Raw: Super Human Health Makeover. Today we consumed a whole lot of cleansing green juices and raw foods. This salad is packed with protein, healthy omega 3s, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals. It’s also a super easy salad to whip up if you’re in a rush or coming off of a cleanse.
(Serves 2 big salads)
Large Head of Rinsed, Chopped Red Leaf Lettuce
1 apple finely sliced
1/3 cup Sunflower Sprouts
1/3 cup Pea Sprouts
2 tbsp Hemp Seeds
1/2 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
2 fresh squeezed limes
Here’s a few food facts for you before you go try out this salad on your own:
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds per day will give you all of the omega 3s you need for the day and are also a great source of protein.
- Pea Sprouts are 20% protein.
- Sunflower Sprouts are 25% protein.
- Avocados are 90% and fat is important in a raw food diet, i’m moderation of course, but DON’T cut it out of your diet.
- Apples have a unique mixture of nutrients that make them different from all other fruits on the planet. They contain 10% carbs and 4% various vitamins and minerals. The rest is water. Apples have an array of phyto-chemicals and antioxidants.
A lot of raw foodists say they get really bored with salad recipes, and I get it, sometimes I don’t even want to look at a salad. But I could never quit them, they’re too good and they’re ALWAYS my default when I’m not in the mood for meal prep.
Let us know in the comments section below: What are your favourite recipes when you don’t feel like doing anything in the kitchen?
Latest posts by Sheleana Jennings (see all)
- Young and Raw 30 Day Green Smoothie Challenge Recipes for November! - October 31, 2013
- Banana Oats Matcha Shake - October 22, 2013
- Artichoke and Caper Potato Salad - October 22, 2013