Strawberries are a fun seasonal treat that always look fresh and beautiful in salads, fruit bowls, chia-pudding or on their own. It’s pretty amazing that with all the hype surrounding hard to find and expensive to get superfoods, we’ve overlooked the glorious strawberry! Read on…
1. Strawberries are packed full of vitamin C. Vitamin C is pretty famous, so you probably know it will help to boost your immune system and defend you against infection. When you combine Vitamin C rich foods like strawberries with iron rich greens like spinach, kale and beet greens you will actually increase your body’s ability to absorb the iron from your greens by up to 30%.
2. The vitamin C content in strawberries can also help to prevent macular degeneration and cataract development in the eyes. The vitamin C will protect the eyes from UV damage from the sun, preventing these eye diseases. This will help your body to produce collagen which is important for proper skin elasticity and resilience. Strawberries are a powerful beauty food.
3. Ellagic acid is a compound found in strawberries that has been studied for its ability to prevent the development of cancer. Strawberries also contain two compounds called lutein and zeathancins which are free radical scavengers helping to prevent oxidative damage to your cells.
4. Strawberries can help to fight inflammation in the body and reduce arthritis pain. A study that was conducted by the Harvard School Of Public Health discovered that women who ate 16 strawberries or more a week had 14% less likelihood of having elevated C-reactive proteins or CRP in their blood, which are markers for inflammation in the body.
5. Strawberries can have more flavor when they’re frozen, so during the spring or summer months, stock up on the strawberries and freeze them for winter. You can toss them in smoothies, or boil them with oatmeal in the morning.
Latest posts by Ali Washington (see all)
- 5 Ways to Listen to Your Body for Deeper Awareness and Personal Power - Sep 7, 2015
- Apricot Bliss Smoothie - Apr 11, 2014
- 5 Daily Detox Recipes to Keep in Your Back Pocket - Apr 4, 2014