It’s the perfect time to share some of my new favorite ways to enjoy this sweet, juicy, and vibrant treat that’s just as healthy as it is delicious.
- Vitamin B-6
- Pantothenic acid
While it’s deliciously satisfying biting right into the juicy flesh alone, here are 5 new and healthy ways to enjoy the fruit of the summer!
1. Drink it: Watermelon Water
On a hot day nothing quenches your thirst for something healthy quite like a cold-pressed juice. Now you can drink your watermelon with the newly launched WTRMLN WTR. WTRMLN WTR is rich in electrolytes – 6 times the amount of your regular sports brand drink – making it essential for summer hydration. WTRMLN WTR also has more potassium than a banana for hearth health and cramp prevention for your summer workouts.
2. Grill it: Grilled Watermelon
With grilling season at its peak, there’s no reason why watermelon can’t partake in the fun! Grilling watermelon cuts through some of the sweetness and offers a completely different flavor profile.
- Cut the watermelon into 1-1 1/2 inch triangle wedges, leaving the rind on the base.
- Place directly onto a medium-high heat grill for one-two minutes a side.
- Remove from grill, drizzle with extra virgin olive.
- Eat as is, or top with something sweet or savory (I love toasted nuts, something sweet like maple syrup or herbs and spices like dried oregano, sea salt & pepper)
3. Spike it: Weekend Watermelon Mocktail
Its BBQ season! What better way to treat yourself and guests than a spiked fresh watermelon slushy with lots of electrolytes for your time in the sunshine. It’ll be sure to be a party hit!
- One cup of frozen watermelon cubes
- 1/3 cup WTRMLN WTR
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 scoop of Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator
- Couple leaves of fresh mint (extra to garnish)
- Add ingredients into blend and blend until slushy.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with a small bunch of fresh mint.
4. Dip it: Watermelon Tomato Salsa
Step up your traditional salsa’s game with a kick of watermelon. The sweetness of the watermelon fuses perfectly with the salty and spicy flavors of your typical tomato salsa, making for a perfect dip at your summer party.
- 1 cup watermelon, finely diced
- 6 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ½ large white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and minced
- Handful of fresh cilantro, leaves only
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
5. Freeze it: Frozen Watermelon Pops
Swap out sugar! Watermelon alone has all the components necessary for a hydrating and refreshing ice pop.
- Chop the flesh of half a watermelon into large chunks.
- Add to blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into Popsicle molds and freeze overnight. Enjoy!
Find More From Peggy K
Vegan and Raw Food Recipes here >>
Nutrition and Health Tips here >>
Latest posts by Peggy Kotsopoulos (see all)
- 5 Warning Signs of Vitamin and Mineral Deficiency + What To Do About It - May 21, 2016
- 3 Happy (Healthy) Halloween Treats! - Oct 28, 2015
- 5 Ways to Enjoy the Cleansing Powers of Watermelon - Sep 6, 2015