1. Avoid Processed Foods: Avoid refined sugar and processed foods. Refined sugar is toxic to the body which among other things dramatically decreases immune function. Eating refined sugars & highly processed foods containing additives & preservatives significantly lowers the ability of the white blood cells to kill bacteria.
2. Eat Your Greens: Colorful salads and dark greens are loaded with flu-fighting phytonutrients, so pile your plate high. Diets rich in antioxidant vitamins on the other hand can boost resistance to infection. Think about eating in color: dark green, red, yellow, and orange fruits and veggies are packed with vitamins and minerals.
3. Get More Sleep: One key to a strong immune system? Sleep! Get plenty of it to allow the body to restore and repair itself while you rest. Sleep deprivation is highly correlated to becoming sick after being exposed to a virus.
4. Break A Sweat: Adequate exercise helps keep your immune system healthy and robust, so keep moving throughout the winter. Improved blood circulation promotes the circulation of antibodies and white blood cells that are responsible for fighting infections.
5. Practice Stress Management: Reduce stress, particularly during flu season. When your body is under constant stress, you’re more vulnerable to everything from the common cold to major diseases. Long term chronic stress weakens the response of the immune system. Do breathing exercises, yoga or simply things you enjoy to help boost immunity, and relieve tension. Treat yourself to a massage, take a bath with Epsom salts or catch up with an old friend over a green smoothie!
6. Listen to Your Body: Consider whether the foods you are consuming are benefiting your body and mind. Are they nourishing you, or do they make you feel more tired? Consider ways in which food affects you , such as how it makes you feel mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Start to tune into your body at meal time.
Latest posts by Aleks Kadzielawski (see all)
- 7 Hacks for Making Your Holiday Season Healthier - Oct 27, 2014
- 7 Healthy Foods I Always Keep on Hand (A Nutrition Coach Shares) - Oct 26, 2014
- DIY: 7 Organic Homemade Beauty Recipes - Apr 9, 2014