The leaves are changing colours, the air is cooler…it is officially autumn which means it’s soup season! Not only is soup a terrific way to use up your fresh vegetables but it is the perfect meal to prepare ahead of time. You can bring some in a thermos for lunch or reheat for dinner.
Two of my favourite vegetables, that are in season, are broccoli and kale. They are two mean and green power machines that I love to make soup with. My recipe for Broccoli Kale Cream Soup will warm your soul and satisfy your tummy on that perfect autumn day.
- 1 ½ heads broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cocnut oil
- 6 cups (1.5 L) hemp milk
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Himalayan crystal salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- In a blender, blend half of the chopped vegetables with the water.
- In a large saucepan, bring the blended mix to a quick boil, and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the kale to the saucepan and simmer covered over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Once the soup has cooked, add the remaining chopped kale and serve immediately.
- This soup will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for 3 to 4 months.
Power of Food Tip: Serve each bowl of soup with a sprinkle of hemp seeds for a full-spectrum nutritional boost. Oh yeah!