On a stormy afternoon there is nothing like lighting a cozy fire and curling up on the couch to read a book or watch a movie. It is the perfect opportunity to unwind. It’s also a great time to make some delicious comfort food. Comfort food soothes our soul, warms our tummies and it pairs perfectly with a day that doesn’t require any emailing or meetings. My recipe for Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is the perfect comfort food and because it is made with lentils it offers the added value of fibre and iron. Who says comfort food has to be unhealthy? Here’s to comfort food that is good for your soul and your health!
LENTIL SHEPHERD’S PIE
- 6 medium potatoes, diced
- ½ cup (125 mL) hemp milk (combine 1 cup of hemp seeds & 3 cups of water into blender & blend until smooth)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (each 14 oz/398 mL) lentils
- Egg alternative, mix in a small bowl 1 tablespoon of ground flax with 3 tablespoons of water.
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) broccoli, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) prepared mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Himalayan crystal salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground black pepper
1) In a large saucepan, cook the diced potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes, and then place them into a food processor with the hemp milk and coconut oil and blend.
2) Remove your now mashed potatoes from the food processor and set aside.
3) Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
4) In a small frying pan, sauté the onion and garlic in a little olive oil for 2 minutes.
5) In your cleaned food processor, combine the sautéed onion and garlic and the remaining ingredients, except the mashed potatoes.
6) Blend the ingredients lightly together to ensure the mixture remains chunky.
7) Place the mixture into a deep 12-inch (30 cm) pie dish. (Alternatively, you could use an 8-inch/20 cm square glass baking dish or rectangular dish of equivalent size.)
8) Spread the mashed potatoes overtop and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Store any leftovers in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator and eat within 3 to 4 days.
Power of Food Tip: Garnish with a healthy serving of grounds nuts or seeds overtop of each cooked piece to increase the flavour and nutritional value of every bite.