Nothing says “autumn is near” more than the smell of baked goods wafting from the oven. There is also something so perfectly fall-like and cozy about enjoying a pastry or cookie with your favorite warm bevvy of choice. However, the refined flour and sugar that comes along with the experience may not be what your body craves this time of year, and in fact can lead to blood sugar highs and lows, poor immunity, tummy troubles, and depleted energy.
So what’s a pastry-lover to do? Make these Paleo and Vegan Hazelnut Butter and Berry Jam Cookie Crumble Bars of course. Think a buttery cookie with flavors of hazelnut and vanilla paired with gooey, sweet-tart berry jam. And the best part? You can indulge knowing that these are made with 100% wholesome, plant-based ingredients and zero refined flours or sugars.
Not only that, they are also free of all animal products (vegan!), grain-free (paleo!), and much lower in sugar than a traditional baked treat.
Enjoy alongside a matcha latte, all by itself, or crumble a bar up and use in a layered parfait with coconut yogurt and fresh fruit.
Serving size: Makes 9 bars
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup stone ground raw hazelnut butter*
- 1/4 coconut butter, melted
- 3 Tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp maca root powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs almond milk
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup freeze dried berries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2 extra Tbs of stone ground raw hazelnut butter
- 1 additional handful freeze dried raspberries
To Make the Jam
1. Place frozen strawberries and maple syrup in a saucepan over low-medium heat until the berries are completely thawed and can be mashed with a fork.
2. Add 1 handful of freeze-dried raspberry and chia seeds. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid the mixture from sticking to the bottom and burning. Once cooked, allow the jam to cool and thicken in the freezer or refrigerator while you prepare the crust/topping.
3. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid the mixture from sticking to the bottom and burning. Once cooked, allow the jam to cool and thicken in the freezer or refrigerator while you prepare the crust/topping.
To Make the Crust
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, then line an 8×8″ metal or glass baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the hazelnut butter, melted coconut butter, 3 tbsp maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth.
3. Stir in the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder. Add a splash (2 Tbsp) of almond milk to achieve the perfect thick, crumbly dough texture.
4. Press ¾ of the dough into your prepped baking dish lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside. To Finish The Bars 1. Spread the berry jam mixture over your partially baked cookie crust, starting in the middle and working your way out to the edges until the surface is evenly covered. 2. Crumble the remaining dough over the top of the jam. 3. Drizzle 2 more Tbsp of hazelnut butter over the top of the crumble, then bake in your preheated oven for 25 additional minutes, until the
To Finish The Bars
1. Spread the berry jam mixture over your partially baked cookie crust, starting in the middle and working your way out to the edges until the surface is evenly covered.
2. Crumble the remaining dough over the top of the jam.
3. Drizzle 2 more Tbsp of hazelnut butter over the top of the crumble, then bake in your preheated oven for 25 additional minutes, until the center starts to bubble and the top starts to brown slightly.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before slicing into bars – the longer they cool the easier they will be to slice. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Enjoy!
Notes: *Using stone ground raw nut butter is recommended for this recipe, as the texture is much more creamy, silky, and drizzly. Results may vary with other styles of nut butter. Hazelnut butter can be subbed with stone ground raw almond butter.
Discover more about Windy City Organics' handcrafted raw chocolate, nut butters, and functional superfood snacks and supplements HERE.
EXCLUSIVE for Young and Raw readers: Get 10% off your order of all Windy City Organics products at RawGuru.com with code YOUNGANDRAW
Latest posts by Anna Speaks (see all)
- Buckwheat Soba Salad with Spicy-Sweet Chipotle Lime Sprouted Almond Sauce - Apr 24, 2019
- Green Peppermint CBD Freezer Fudge - Jun 4, 2018
- Lucky Shamrock Hemp CBD Mint Chip Shake - Mar 16, 2018