When the chocolate craving hits, these healthy low calorie (compared to the nutty versions) chocolate balls are perfect to satisfy it! They’re also great as a quick snack to boost energy, or a post-workout snack, since chickpeas are high in protein, and dates will provide you with healthy carbs and potassium.
There are plenty of chocolate ball recipes that contain nuts. So if you want a lower calorie, low fat version, try these little flavor bombs!
Yield: about 10 balls
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas (rinsed and dried)
- 1-2 tablespoons raw cacao (or organic coco)
- Optional spices: vanilla, cinnamon, cloves
- Extra cacao (or cocoa) for rolling (you can also use shredded coconut or chia seeds to roll them)
- Place cooked chickpeas and dates in a food processor or a high speed blender and process until well combined into a sticky dough consistency.
- Add cacao and spices, mix well.
- Press the dough into balls with your hands, then roll in cacao to make truffle-looking balls.
- Put in the freezer for at least an hour and they’ll be ready to serve! Then these amazing balls can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.