This smoothie is so packed with antioxidants that you’ll feel like you’re ready to beat the dragon after drinking it!
However, this is not the only reason why it’s called the “Beet The Dragon” smoothie. Its name comes from the two main ingredients: good old beetroot and exotic dragon fruit, aka pitaya or strawberry pair.
Beetroot: Beets contain important bioactive agents (betaine and polyphenols), which have a wide range of physiologic effects, including liver protection by increasing enzymatic antioxidants¹. Beets are also high in zinc and copper which help protect hepatocytes (liver cells) against oxidative stress.
Chia seeds: Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help to reduce inflammation in the body. It also contains water-soluble and insoluble fiber, which is important for nutrient absorption, digestion and detoxification.
Bananas: Bananas are rich in potassium and are a great source of energy. If you freeze them before blending, they add extra creaminess and deliciousness to the smoothie! Just make sure to peel them before freezing.
This smoothie is not only rich in nutrients but also tastes absolutely amazing! It’s a perfect way to start your day or refresh yourself in the afternoon.
Yields: 1 serving
- 1 medium beet, raw
- 1 purple dragon fruit or 2 cups frozen
- 1-2 frozen bananas
- 1 handful of spinach or kale
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup water or cashew milk (more or less, depending on desired consistency)
- Pinch of cinnamon and/or vanilla (optional)
- 1-2 cups ice (optional)
- Desiccated coconut for sprinkling (optional)
- Soak chia seeds in water for at least 10 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients (including soaked chia seeds and the soaking water) in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve and enjoy!