When it gets cold outside, there is nothing better than snuggling up with a warm cup of hot chocolate. Yummy treats like hot chocolate are often synonymous with drinking dairy and sugar, which may leave you feeling less than awesome. I have come up with this super rich, easy to make delicious healthy hot chocolate recipe that is refined sugar and dairy free. I hope you and your loved ones will love it!
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 2-3 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (you can also use coconut milk for an extra rich drink)
- 3 tbsp cacao or carob powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar or coconut syrup
- pinch Himalayan sea salt
Directions: Place all ingredients in a medium sauce pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 4-5 minutes.
You can drink as is, or you can strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag for an even smoother treat!
Some variation ideas:
- Add 1-2 peppermint tea bags to the pot as it is cooking for a mint hot chocolate.
- Add 3-4 slices of fresh ginger root for a chocolate gingerbread hot chocolate.
- Add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper for a Mexican hot chocolate.
- Add in some medicinal mushrooms like reishi powder for a super food infused drink.
Latest posts by Ali Washington (see all)
- 5 Ways to Listen to Your Body for Deeper Awareness and Personal Power - Sep 7, 2015
- Apricot Bliss Smoothie - Apr 11, 2014
- 5 Daily Detox Recipes to Keep in Your Back Pocket - Apr 4, 2014