Looking for a dairy free, raw vegan alternative to yogurts that you can dress up as fancy parfaits or eat with fresh fruit? Try making your own instead of purchasing the store bought yogurts. I know there are some coconut and almond yogurts on the shelves now but even those contain additives which aren’t necessary to consume. Aside from the waiting process, the yogurt itself only really takes 10 minutes to make including clean up if you’re fast.
What are they used for? A host of ailments that range from reducing inflammation (IBS) for example, preventing infection in the digestive tract, gas, diarrhea, digestive issues and yeast infections. A lot of people that we’ve spoken to (including Caleb) have experienced some form of relief or healing after using probiotics even for a short time. However not everyone is the same and some people reported to not have had a good experience at all. The best thing for you to do is try them out for yourself and measure your experience to see if they are for you or not.
Coconut Vanilla Yogurt
- 2 cups coconut meat
- 1 tbsp. coconut kefir
- 1 tsp. dairy free probiotics *I used Garden of Life
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup raw coconut water
- 5 dates
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1-2 dashes of cinammon
5 Healing Benefits of Coconut
1. Coconut has been traditionally used in folk medicine for common ailments such as abscesses, burns, colds, constipation, cough, fever, flu, ulcers and upset stomach, even menstrual cramps (note to self – eat more coconut flesh).
2. Coconut is used in modern medicine to help kill the fungi and yeasts that cause candida overgrowth, thrush and diaper rash. (Diaper rash is also due to using toxic diapers, go natural mommas!)
3. Coconut reduces inflammation, helps reduce any irritation that may be caused by hemorrhoids and improves bowel function.
4. Coconut is an anti-oxidant which helps protect the body from free radicals and promotes a youthful appearance and healthy skin.
5. For those of you who need thyroid support, Coconut is used to support thyroid function so while you’re laying off the cruciferous veggies, have some yogurt!
6. Coconut can help your body absorb calcium and magnesium as well as other vitamins, minerals and amino acids. AKA – better absorption, healthier body and strong teeth and bones.
7. Coconut is even know to help prevent tooth decay which can be a concern to raw vegans if they’re not converting Vitamin K1 to K2 effectively. Eating more coconut is helpful to anyone who wants to maintain healthy teeth.
8. Coconut can help you lose weight by speeding up the metabolism function of the body.
9. Coconut promotes healthy looking hair and skin, by providing the body nourishment of essential fats, vitamins, minerals and amino acids.