The number of toxic chemicals we’re exposed to on a daily basis is staggering. Triclosan, toluene, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, petroleum by-products, heavy metals and many types of parabens are just a few of the dangerous ingredients commonly found in store-bought beauty and skin care products. It’s not even required to list everything an item contains due to the labelling law that allows companies to hide ingredients in compounds that can be listed under a single name.
The marketing for much of this industry is targeted specifically at women, and the accumulation of these compounds in our bodies can have a significant impact on energy levels, memory and the optimal function of our complex endocrine systems. Here are some of the steps you can take to detox your home and your body from being affected by many of these potentially harmful chemicals.
Here are 4 Ways To Detox Your Beauty Routine Today
1. Clean up: Throw away any product in your makeup bag or cupboards that’s expired, as well as anything that you can’t remember using in the last six months. Not only will this process help you gain control over exactly what goes into your body, but getting rid of unwanted clutter may actually help you feel more organized and less stressed.
2. Educate yourself: With your remaining products, start looking up some of the ingredients online that you can’t pronounce or don’t recognize right away. One of the best resources for this is the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database. There are also many holistic alternatives you can find at natural pharmacies and health food stores that can help with this lifestyle transition.
3. Do it yourself: Making your own versions of many beauty staples is surprisingly easy. The best part of this process is that you get control over exactly what your skin is exposed to each day, all while saving some hard-earned money. Check out this article for some basic recipes to get you started!
4. Raid your kitchen: There’s a saying that you should be able to eat anything you use on your skin, because it’s getting into your body one way or another. With this in mind, there’s actually quite a few whole foods that can be used as natural beauty boosters!
- Try using a fresh slice of beetroot to add a lovely pink stain on your lips and cheeks. Apply it one layer at a time while letting it dry in between to achieve a darker tone.
- Defrost some frozen blackberries, create a paste and apply with a clean applicator wand to curled eyelashes for a beautiful, edible mascara option. Again, taking the time to put on a few successive layers can produce a more dramatic effect.
- Mixing a dab of organic coconut oil with some raw cacao powder creates an amazingly simple bronzing effect. You can actually protect and nourish your skin using this recipe as this oil is naturally SPF 8! One coat of this bronzer is quite subtle for those with a light complexion, and the more layers you apply the deeper the color becomes.
These are just a few of the ways you can start your journey towards a healthier, low-toxin beauty routine. Because it can often seem pretty overwhelming to think about getting rid of everything you use at once, try to remember to be patient with yourself and go through this process at a pace you’re comfortable with. Also always try to keep in mind that having a beauty routine that’s simpler and more natural can actually go a long way to helping you feel and look your best each day.