1. Chlorella is a single-celled algae. An incredibly powerful food, rich in a wide range of nutrients, chlorella is a complete protein, containing all 8 essential amino acids that your body is not able to manufacture on its own, and therefore must be obtained through the diet.
2. Chlorella is about 50% protein by weight and contains the highest amount of chlorophyll of any plant. Chlorophyll is a molecule that is almost identical to the molecular structure of our red blood cells, only chlorophyll has a magnesium ion in the center, rather than an iron molecule. This means that it is incredibly nourishing for our red blood cells. It helps to build them, and supports them to function optimally. Eating chlorella can aid your body in the transportation of nutrients and oxygen to your cells, and carry waste away from your cells.
3. Chlorella also has an amazing ability to help pull heavy metals from the body tissues, and help usher them out of the body. Chlorella has the ability to bind with metals such as lead, mercury and cadmium, pulling them from tissues and cells to the liver where they can be detoxed. This process is called Chelation.
4. Chlorella is also rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. Chlorella has been shown to aid in conditions that include diabetes, obesity, body odor, liver damage, high blood pressure and constipation, just to name a few. It also helps to enhance the immune system, aids the digestive system as well as being able to help release mould from the body.
5. You should always source chlorella from a reputable source, as contamination can pose a health risk. We recommend a product called Vitamineral Greens by HealthForce Nutritionals, which is a blend of both Spirulina and Chlorella combined. You can find chlorella in powdered form, or in tablets. Some people report the tablets are more difficult to digest. Vitamineral Greens can easily be added into a smoothie recipe.
**Disclaimer: If you have heavy metal overload, any type of organ disorder or hormonal imbalance, it’s best to consult with your Naturopath or Physician prior to using Chlorella. Chlorella can be extremely potent as a detoxification agent and may not be suited for all types or health scenarios. Do not use Chlorella while pregnant unless under the guide of your health care professional. Superfoods are not meant to be given to children under the age of 5.**
Latest posts by Ali Washington (see all)
- 5 Ways to Listen to Your Body for Deeper Awareness and Personal Power - Sep 7, 2015
- Apricot Bliss Smoothie - Apr 11, 2014
- 5 Daily Detox Recipes to Keep in Your Back Pocket - Apr 4, 2014