This is my huge favorite. So juicy, comforting and healthy. I usually make it when I have eaten a lot of pasta lately and crave a load of veggies. It also contains a tiny bit of cinnamon, which adds a nice and warm taste. This cozy moussaka will definitely lighten up your Fall dinner!
serves 4 people
- one large eggplant or two medium ones
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 Tbsp oil
- 3 onions
- 4 large carrots
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cups tomato juice
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- Wash the eggplant and cut it into thin round slices. Rub the slices with a little bit of salt and leave them for rest until you prepare the veggies.
- Heat up some oil in a large pan or thick-bottomed pot. Add chopped onions. Cook until the onions are starting to get golden. Add grated carrots and zucchini. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.Taste and add some salt if needed.
- In a medium pot, mix tomato juice with cinnamon, brown sugar and a little bit of salt and pepper. Boil for a couple of minutes and remove the heat. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease a medium deeper baking dish.
- Start assembling the moussaka. First, add one layer of eggplant slices onto the bottom. Then add some of the veggies, a couple of scoops of tomato sauce and then add a layer of eggplant slices again. Repeat the procedure, until you are out of the ingredients.
- Just keep in mind that the last layer should be eggplant slices and tomato sauce. Bake for 40 minutes at 400 F. Enjoy!
Latest posts by Sandra Vungi (see all)
- Eat More Plants! Try this Juicy Moussaka (It’s Vegan) - Nov 21, 2014