Quinoa is a diverse “fruit grain” (technically a fruit, often referred to as a grain) that you can use for making hot cereals, sweet dishes, salads, and savory meals. If you find comfort in a cooked, grounding, and protein rich meal, this plant strong protein salad is perfect for you. It’s got a bit of a Mexican twist to it, but if you prefer other flavor combinations, swap out the spices and veggies and do your own thing! You can also make this salad raw by sprouting your quinoa, and then garnishing with fresh, chopped raw veggies overtop at the end. Quinoa is a rich source of protein, containing all 9 amino acids our bodies need to create complete protein. When you eat quinoa, you can rest assured that you’re also sourcing iron and magnesium as well.
- 2 Cups Quinoa
- 4 Cups of Low Sodium, preservative free Vegetable Broth or Water
- 2 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 Purple Onion, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Zucchini, diced
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, diced or use 1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes only if you’re cooking the recipe
- 2 Limes, Juiced overtop
- 1 Handful of parsley & cilantro, chopped as garnish *optional
- 1 Avocado, Sliced and placed overtop *optional
Step 1. Bring your quinoa and veggie broth to a boil and immediately reduce heat to low.
Step 2. Add your chopped veggies to the pot and cover at reduced heat for 15 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
Step 3. You’ll know your quinoa is done when you open the pot and there is no more liquid and the quinoa has risen to the top and has a fluffy texture.
Step 4. Squeeze lime juice overtop and garnish with Avocado, Parsley & Cilantro if you choose and enjoy. Keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days and is also great cold, or sprinkled overtop a big bed of greens.
Latest posts by Sheleana Aiyana (see all)
- Boost Your Immune System to Fight Stress with this Juice Recipe - Feb 13, 2019
- 10 Reasons to Go Plant Based from the Juice Truck - Mar 9, 2016
- Top 10 Reasons Why Everyone Is Doing Yoga - Feb 11, 2016