Looking for a dairy free, raw vegan alternative to yogurts that you can dress up as fancy parfaits or eat with fresh fruit? Try making your own instead of purchasing the store bought yogurts. I know there are some coconut and almond yogurts on the shelves now but even those contain additives which aren’t necessary to consume. Aside from the waiting process, the yogurt itself only really takes 10 minutes to make including clean up if you’re fast.
Cultured yogurts are a great way to get in your probiotics which help balance the microflora (organisms) in the intestines. Essentially what probiotics do is balance out the good and help reduce the bad bacteria for a healthy and optimally functioning digestive tract.
What are they used for? A host of ailments that range from reducing inflammation (IBS) for example, preventing infection in the digestive tract, gas, diarrhea, digestive issues and yeast infections. A lot of people that we’ve spoken to have experienced some form of relief or healing after using probiotics even for a short time. However, not everyone is the same and some people reported to not have had a good experience at all. The best thing for you to do is try them out for yourself and measure your experience to see if they are for you or not.
Coconut Vanilla Yogurt
- 2 cups coconut meat
- 1 tbsp. coconut kefir
- 1 tsp. dairy free probiotics *I used Garden of Life
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup raw coconut water
- Blend coconut meat, and all other ingredients in your Vitamix or blender until creamy and smoothie with no chunks left over.
- Pour into a glass jar, and cover with a mesh fabric like cheesecloth and elastic or a nylon. Leave out in room temperature for 12 hours and then pop your jar in the fridge again for 1 day.
- Once you’ve gone through this process your yogurt should have a sour, tangy smell and taste and be ready to eat. You can add in your crumble and fresh fruits, or just eat it plain!
- 5 dates
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1-2 dashes of cinammon
- Pulse dates in the food processor until they are in very tiny chunks, almost paste like but not quite, put in a bowl and set aside while you add your walnuts and almond to the mix.
- You don’t need to worry about washing off the processor first, just put them right in and pulse until they are almost a flour, but again in very tiny chunks.
- Add to the bowl of dates, dash your cinammon and stir together until they are mixed well or just use your hands.
- Store your crumble for about 7 days and use it for crumbles and parfaits.
- Coconut Vanilla Yogurt
- Raw Crumble
- Fruit of choice (berries work great in this)
- If you don’t have a wide lid jar, you can still layer up in a regular bowl.
- Place a layer of fruit.
- Pour over a layer of Coconut Vanilla Yogurt.
- Sprinkle on a layer of Raw Crumble.
- Repeat steps 2-4 as many times as you’d like!
5 Healing Benefits of Coconut
1. Coconut has been traditionally used in folk medicine for common ailments such as abscesses, burns, colds, constipation, cough, fever, flu, ulcers and upset stomach, even menstrual cramps (note to self – eat more coconut flesh).
2. Coconut is used in modern medicine to help kill the fungi and yeasts that cause candida overgrowth, thrush and diaper rash. (Diaper rash is also due to using toxic diapers, go natural mommas!)
3. Coconut reduces inflammation, helps reduce any irritation that may be caused by hemorrhoids and improves bowel function.
4. Coconut is an anti-oxidant which helps protect the body from free radicals and promotes a youthful appearance and healthy skin.
5. For those of you who need thyroid support, Coconut is used to support thyroid function so while you’re laying off the cruciferous veggies, have some yogurt!
6. Coconut can help your body absorb calcium and magnesium as well as other vitamins, minerals and amino acids. AKA – better absorption, healthier body and strong teeth and bones.
7. Coconut is even know to help prevent tooth decay which can be a concern to raw vegans if they’re not converting Vitamin K1 to K2 effectively. Eating more coconut is helpful to anyone who wants to maintain healthy teeth.
8. Coconut can help you lose weight by speeding up the metabolism function of the body.
9. Coconut promotes healthy looking hair and skin, by providing the body nourishment of essential fats, vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
Latest posts by Sheleana Aiyana (see all)
- Boost Your Immune System to Fight Stress with this Juice Recipe - Feb 13, 2019
- 10 Reasons to Go Plant Based from the Juice Truck - Mar 9, 2016
- Top 10 Reasons Why Everyone Is Doing Yoga - Feb 11, 2016