These simple empanadas can easily be turned into a salad, and since you’ll have left over macadamia filling you can make this recipe once and create multiple wraps or salads through out the week.
This macadamia filling is super rich and full of flavour, so you only need a small amount. Start with 1 tbsp and 1/4 – 1/2 an avocado if you’re keeping your fat low. For 1 head of romaine lettuce, tons of sliced veggies I used 1 small avocado and 1 tbsp of the filling when I used the left overs to make a salad at dinner time.
Chili Macadamia Filling
- 1 cup macadamia nuts (soaked for 5-10 minutes to soften)
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/8 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. himalayan salt
Instructions: Strain the soaked macadamia nuts and add to the food processor with all other ingredients. Process until you get a finely pureed mixture without any large chunks. To keep fats low limit 1-2 tbsp. of filling per serving. (If you want, you can chill the filling in the fridge for 10-20 minutes before serving. )
- 1-2 heads Butter or IceBerg Lettuce (depends on how many you want)
- Or your choice of greens
Instructions: Prepare your greens to use as wraps, or if you’re not concerned about presentation simply chop up a head of romaine lettuce and make a salad. Since the macadamia a nut filling will not be used all in one sitting, you can make multiple salads with this one recipe.
Veggie Filling (as much as you like)
- Broccoli Sprouts
- Roasted red pepper, sliced (not raw)
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Cubed avocado (1/2 per person if you’re keeping your fats low)
Latest posts by Sheleana Aiyana (see all)
- 20 Healthy Reasons to Eat Chia Seeds - Jun 19, 2015
- 15 Ways Reduce Stress and Boost Your Mood - Jun 18, 2015
- Deeply Nourishing Breakfast Smoothie for Energy, Stress &Detox - Jun 18, 2015