I’ve been craving organic cherries lately but since they aren’t in season it’s been tough to find them. Finally the other day we found some organic frozen cherries at Lifestyles Market in Victoria, BC. Listening to the body’s cravings for real organic food is so key to thriving on the raw vegan lifestyle. With the weather being cold and rainy here in B.C for the past little while, I have found my body feeling achey and sore a lot so it’s really no coincidence that my body is asking for anti-inflammatory foods
Notice how you are feeling in your body when you have a craving. Bring awareness to your current emotional state. What are your thoughts like in the moment of the craving? All of these things play an important role in helping you develop a strong intuition that will guide you to make the right food choices for your body. If you’ve been exploring how to go raw, and how to go vegan for a while now, start with smoothies!
2-3 Frozen Ripe Bananas
1.5 cups Frozen Cherries
2 tsp Maca Powder
1 tbsp Carob Powder
1 tbsp Hemp Seeds
2 Scoops Pumpkin Protein
2 cups water (give or take depending on desired consistency).
Instructions: Put water, hemp seeds and powder in the Vitamix and blend on speed 1 until the powders have blended in. Turn the Vitamix off and add in the Cherries, Bananas and blend on 6 or 7 for about 30 seconds. Serve when mixture is creamy.
5 Rawesome Facts About this Smoothie
1. Cherries contain a pigment red in colour called anthocyanin which is known to reduce pain and inflammation.
2. Cherries can be helpful in regulating sleep patterns and memory enhancement.
3. Carob is high in calcium and phosphorus making it a beneficial agent that defends against osteoporosis.
4. Hemp seeds are great for preventing sweet cravings later in the day because they are so nutritionally dense and high in protein.
5. Maca is well known for restoring hormonal balance in both women and men, enhancing libido and promoting fertility.
Learn more recipes and tips like this in our 3 months course How to Go Raw, Not Crazy! We’re taking a few more student testers, if you’d like more details on how you can get a discount on registration you can email us with the subject line “how to go raw”.