When you’re making smoothies, the possibilities for ingredients are endless. I guess that’s one of the reasons why I love them so much, and also why I always recommend them to new comers to the Young and Raw lifestyle. Smoothies don’t take much time, usually a few minutes tops of washing and chopping, and the Vitamix blends your concoction in less than 30 seconds. They’re a viable option for anyone who wants to get happy, fit and full but also doesn’t have a lot of time. Caleb and I stood in front of the fridge staring for a minute or two before we decided on these ingredients and he whipped up the smoothie while I hopped in the shower. We’re always working from home so we have to remind each other to take breaks, eat, shower, got for walks, you know all that stuff. Here’s the recipe, enjoy!
- 1 Orange, peeled
- 2-3 leaves of Kale
- 1 Handful of Spinach
- 1-2 cups Frozen Blueberries
- 1-2 Frozen Ripened Bananas
- 2 cups Water (add more for thinner, less for thicker consistency)
- 2 Tablespoons Harmonic Arts BC Bee Pollen
Instructions: Put all of your ingredients into the blender, add water and blend for 30 seconds or less in the Vitamix.
5 Rawesome Facts about This Smoothie
1. Blueberries are high in anti-oxidants and help prevent aging and keep your skin looking young and vibrant. They also protect the brain from oxidative stress thus reducing the effects of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
2. Kale helps the body maintain normal blood sugar levels and can be very healing for diabetics.
3. Spinach is comprised of about 30% protein and a great protein option if you’re an athlete or gym goer.
4. Bananas are a great energy boosting food and studies have shown that just 2 bananas provide enough energy for an intense 90 minute workout.
5. Bee pollen is a natural anti-histamine and just 1-2 tbsp. per day can help reduce, or even eliminate environmental allergies.
Learn more recipes and tips like this in our 3 month course How to Go Raw, Not Crazy! We’re taking a few more student testers, so if you’d like more details on how you can get a discount on registration you can email us with the subject line “how to go raw”.
Latest posts by Sheleana Jennings (see all)
- Chocolate Cinnamon Brain On Smoothie - March 11, 2014
- Spicy Sweet Sprouts Salad - March 8, 2014
- Win an Omega 8004 Model Juicer from YoungandRaw.com! - March 8, 2014