Just about every morning I wake up, I open my bedroom window blinds, look outside and say in a slightly over-ecstatic voice, “Good Morning World!” Is this slightly absurd? Sure, it may seem odd to some. (I’m waiting for the day when someone happens to be walking by at the exact time when I announce myself to the world in my pajamas. Hopefully they say good morning back to me! While I began this morning ritual out of pure entertainment, I discovered a fascinating side effect. It made me happy.
When we step out of a yoga class, we often feel refreshed, renewed, and cleared of negativity. Whoever said we have to wait until get to a yoga class? Let’s make every single day our own personal practice. We can create and mold our best practices for how we fuel our body, how we move, and how we think. And this, my friends, starts the moment we wake up…
1. Set a Mindful Intention
Lingering emotions from yesterday’s ventures, a restless night of sleep, an anticipatory event, an endless to-do list; these potentially stressful feelings can come to light before we’ve even peeped our heads out from underneath the covers. How can we begin our day with a clean slate and openly refreshed mind?
Before you even think about getting out of bed, allow a question to float around in your head. What is your intention for your day? Is there a word or a phrase that captures this feeling of purpose and motivation? Channel this intention throughout the day.
2. Move and Explore
Now that the mind is clear and open, we need to do the same for the body. Connective tissues, muscles, bones, and organs all need movement and blood circulation to bring delicious nutrients in and waste out. Before we start the day, begin your physical practice in bed.
- Supine Twist: With knees bent and feet on the bed, allow your arms to mindfully shift side to side. Creating rotation in the spine encourages healthy digestion by massaging the digestive organs.
- Exploratory Movements: During the night, our connective tissue can stiffen from the lack of movement. How can we reinvigorate it? Movement. Begin by wiggling fingers and fingers then reintroduce exploratory movements into the legs, arms, and finally, spine. Yes, you may look like a slowly wiggling fish out of water and surprise anyone in bed with you.
3. Eat a Nutrient Dense Breakfast
Smoothies are fantastic options for those of you on-the-go. They’re portable and won’t give you funky breath (as far as I know). Plus, it makes for easy digestion in the morning, while also getting your fibrous dark greens (over 8 servings!). Blend together this energizing, nutrient dense smoothie:
- Vega One Nutritional Shake (My favorite is Berry flavor)
- Handful of organic kale or spinach
- A banana
- Handful of blueberries
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 ½ cup non-dairy milk or water
- 2 to 5 dates
Then don’t forget to shout “Good Morning World” and make today one of your best days.