Your kidneys are an important detoxification organ. They help to filter out toxins and other wastes through your urine, which can otherwise build up and cause kidney stones or possibly high blood pressure if not eliminated effectively.
There are many beneficial herbs and foods we can include in our daily diet to better support the health of our kidneys and excrete unnecessary toxins. Try these 3 amazing kidney detox recipes.
Here are 9 herbs and foods that are great for cleansing and supporting the health of the kidneys:
1. Dandelion – This bitter herb is an incredible diuretic, which helps to produce more water in your system so that you can eliminate more waste effectively. You can drink fresh or dried dandelion tea. It is also great for soothing the urinary system and helpful if dealing with urinary tract infections.
2. Nettles – Another bitter herb, nettles contains a ton of iron, which is great for building the blood, plus it helps to strengthen the urinary system. It is mildly detoxifying, contains a ton of minerals and acts as a diuretic. You can drink it as a tea by steeping fresh nettles in hot water for 10-15 minutes.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar – Although this is not a herb, it is truly an effective diuretic and helps to support the body’s detoxification pathways. It can help to dispel toxins in the blood which can then be further eliminated through the kidneys. Add 1 teaspoon of ACV into warm water every morning to support digestion, liver and kidney health.
4. Parsley – A common herb used in every day cooking, parsley is an amazing heavy metal detoxifier and diuretic. It helps to treat kidney stones and urinary tract infections. Sprinkle it onto salads or add into your morning green juice or smoothie.
5. Turmeric – Due its high anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds, turmeric can help to reduce kidney inflammation and infections. Sprinkle turmeric onto any dish for an added boost of nutrients.
6. Watermelon – Who ever thought a fresh slice of watermelon could help with cleansing the kidneys? Due to its high water content, watermelon is a great diuretic helping to flush the kidneys of unwanted toxins.
7. Cranberries – I’m sure we’ve all heard about the benefits of drinking cranberry juice for a urinary tract infection? This amazing berry contains compounds that help flush the kidneys or urea (or uric acid), which can potentially lead to kidney stones. It supports the overall health of the kidneys.
8. Uva Ursi – This incredible herb has many antiseptic properties and helps to promote urine flow. It is great for treating bladder infections or any type of urinary infection. You can take this herb in the form of a pill or drink as a tea to help flush toxic buildup in the kidneys.
9. Yarrow – a powerful diuretic that helps dispel unwanted wastes from the kidneys. It also contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to prevent bacterial buildup.
An overall well balanced diet will ultimately support the health of the kidneys. Drinking a lot of water and incorporating a variety of leafy greens and herbs will offer the most benefit for kidney cleansing and keeping them functioning optimally. Try incorporating some of the above foods and herbs into your diet to gain the most cleansing benefits.
Samantha graduated as a Registered Holistic Nutritionist from the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition; is a Hatha Yoga Instructor, Qualitarian Pioneer & holds a Bachelor Degree in World Religion and Arts.