Start Spreading the Mayo! I am such a fan of cashews, not only because they serve up a good helping of essential fatty acids, fibre and protein but also because they are super versatile. I love adding them to smoothies, salads and stir-frys. One of my favourite ways to use this powerhouse nut is to make mayonnaise – instead of buying store-bought, preservative filled mayonnaise I prefer to make my own.
So go ahead, and spread some of my Make-It-Yourself Mayo on your next sandwich, wrap or veggie burger. It will add that creamy texture and mayo flavour you love but without all those preservatives. Oh Yeah!
- 1 cup (250 mL) cashews
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60 mL) flax oil, hemp oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) prepared mustard
- ¼ cup (60mL) water
- Soak the cashews in 2 cups of water for 1 hour. After they have soaked, drain and rinse the cashews, discarding the water.
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend. Add more water as needed until the mixture reaches your desired consistency.
- Store this mayo in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days.
Power of Food Tip: Try this mayo as a veggie dip.
Author at Power of Food
Adam Hart is the bestselling author of The Power of Food which shares the secrets of achieving optimal health through living, plant-based foods. Highly sought after speaker and champion of intention-based living, Adam shares how to awaken an abundance of energy and vitality without giving up your favourite foods. Visit him online to take his newest "7 Day Gluten-Free Challenge."