If you’re looking for a natural way to aid your digestion or just want to keep your digestion going smoothly, this is a delicious natural elixir that you can easily prepare.
The star ingredient of this smoothie is flaxseed, otherwise known as linseed, rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and known to be good for digestion as well as possessing other important health benefits.
Why is flaxseed so good for digestion?
Flaxseed has anti-inflammatory properties which prevent the acidity of ulcers inside the wall of the stomach – caused by spicy and tangy food or due to overeating.
But there’s more…
- The oil contents of the flax lubricates the walls of the digestive system which leads to an easier and faster digestion of food, aided by its high soluble fiber content. The 2 tablespoons of flax in this recipes contain about 5g of fiber, which is 1/6 of the RDA.
- Despite its wonderful health properties, flax is generally not considered so tasty due to its slightly bitter taste. I struggled with finding ways to incorporate flax into my daily nutrition, until I found the perfect solution – combining it with fruits and vegetables in a smoothie.
- Whole flax seeds don’t digest effectively, so you’ll need to add the ground version to the smoothie.
- You can buy ground flax, however, to keep all nutrients it is better to grind the flax yourself or sprout it at home. There are a variety of simple methods and tools to turn flax into meal and my personal favorite is using a coffee grinder, which does the work in 5 seconds.
Ready to enjoy a super healthy and delicious flax smoothie?
Here’s my favorite recipe:
Ingredients (1 serving):
- 1 medium apple (preferably a firm type)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup ice
Preparation: Couldn’t be any simpler! Just toss all ingredients into the blender, fruits first, and blend until smooth.
Founder at Easy Healthy Smoothie
Daniel Pelegreen is a “smoothie guru”, founder of EasyHealthySmoothie where you’ll discover natural, easy nutrition hacks for maintaining a healthier lifestyle and tackling excess weight, fatigue and stress. For more recipes and smoothie ideas follow his Pinterest