Chef Morgan is sharing one of the most popular dishes to have ever graced the Vega HQ kitchen— Vegan Macaroni and Cheese! This healthier version of the comfort-food favorite is made with a cashew “cheese” sauce and gluten-free noodles. Plan for leftovers – it’s just as delicious reheated the next day. Enjoy!
Prep time: 20 mins
- 16 oz package of gluten-free pasta of choice, cooked al dente
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach
Spiced Nut & Seed Topping:
- ¼ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1½ cup raw cashews, soaked for two hours (or overnight)
- 1¾ cups water
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp miso paste
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Add pasta, cherry tomatoes and spinach into a large bowl, set aside.
- Mix together all the topping ingredients. Taste and adjust flavor as desired. Set aside.
- In blender, combine all of the cheese sauce ingredients except for ¾ cup of water and blend until creamy. Add remaining water and blend again. Taste and adjust flavor as desired.
- Add the ‘cheese sauce’ to pasta, cherry tomatoes and spinach. Mix well.
- In a large baking dish, pour pasta mixture and cover with topping. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, check after 15 minutes if topping is darkening too much for your liking, cover with foil. If using individual baking dishes, bake for 10 – 15 minutes less.
- When done, let cool about 10 minutes and serve.
Originally posted on the Vega Recipe Center
Find More From Morgan
Vegan and Raw Food Recipes here >>
Nutrition and Health Tips here >>
Latest posts by Morgan Shupe (see all)
- Cherry “Cheese” Cake Protein Smoothie - Jun 13, 2019
- Nut-Free Granola Bars with Dates, Apricot and Banana - Feb 5, 2019
- Yummy After School Snack: Peanut Butter & Jam Fruit Dip - Jan 30, 2019