We make this impressive dessert in almost every one of my cooking classes, workshops and retreats. The second you bite into one of these babies, I promise you’ll feel euphoric! The chocolate-y center sets this dessert apart from any other.
*Many people don’t know that goji berries are part of the nightshade family. If you suffer from arthritis or inflammation it would be best to substitute the goji berries for a Mulberry or Golden Berry instead.
- 3/4 cup Walnuts
- 3/4 cup Gluten-Free Oats or Buckwheat Grouts
- 10 Medjool Dates
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Goji Berries (save some for garnish)
- 1/8 tsp. Vanilla Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Rock Salt
- 1/2 cup Cacao Powder (opional)
Molten Lava Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/3-1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/3 cup Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Rock Salt
1. Place walnuts and oats in food processor and process until a loose crumble is formed (about 20 seconds).
2. Add in remaining crust ingredients and process for 1 minute until a dough-like texture forms. If the dates you are using are very hard, it is best to soak them in warm water for 10 minutes.
Note: You will need to make tops for the cakes so be sure to reserve about 3/4 cup of mixture.
3. Once the crust mixture reaches a sticky, dough-like consistency, transfer one spoonful each into muffin tin compartments. Press dough into the edges and bottom of each compartment. Refrigerate.
4. Use a rolling pin to spread the remaining dough into a sheet about 1/4 inch thick. Choose a cookie cutter that is a little larger than the base of each muffin tin compartment, and press out rounds of dough.
Molten Lava Directions:
5. Over low-medium heat melt and mix coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao powder, cinnamon, and salt in small pot.
6. Take the muffin tins out of the fridge and gently remove the crusts from the tin. Fill each with the warm lava mixture. Do not overfill, as you still need to put the top on it.
7. Now place the round crust on top of the bases filled with the lava. Gently press the edges together to create a seal.
8. Flip cake over, garnish with goji berries and cacao nibs.
Serve immediately for a very gooey filling. For a more solid chocolate center, refrigerate prior to serving.
To “reactivate” the lava, warm refrigerated cakes in a low-temperature oven for two minutes. The filling will return to its original, gooey texture.
Keep in fridge or freezer for up to 4 weeks.
Latest posts by Rachelle Girardin (see all)
- These Raw Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes Taste Epic and Easy to Make - Mar 31, 2015
- Heal Your Gut and Boost Your Electrolytes with this Cultured Coconut Yogurt Recipe - Mar 30, 2015
- 6 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight - Mar 29, 2015