Oatmeal is a staple pre-workout food for many runners because it contains complex carbohydrates for sustained energy. This recipe is an ideal pre-workout meal for at least an hour before training, as it combines a small amount of fat and protein that will take longer to digest than carbohydrates alone, and will sustain you much longer (great for your long run day).
The addition of coconut oil not only provides a creamy decadent texture, but the medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil are quicker to digest than other sources of fat, and yet still provide long lasting energy, making it a perfect fuel source for athletes.
Rotate your selection of nuts, seeds and dried fruits week to week, in order to gain a variety of minerals, antioxidants, and Omega-3s from each individual source.
- ½ cup gluten-free oats (rolled or steel cut)
- 1 ½ to 2 cups water
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Vega Sport Performance Protein Vanilla
- ½ to 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ banana (sliced)
- 1 Tbsp nut/seed/superfood, one of: hemp hearts, chia seeds, cacao nibs, coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp, chopped dried fruit, one of: goji berries, dates, figs, tart cherries
- Prepare oats, depending on variety selected:
- Rolled oats or quick cooking oats: add ½ cup oats and 1 ½ cup water in small saucepan on stove. On the stovetop, heat on medium until gently simmering (3 to 4 minutes). Sir frequently. Let sit for 1 minute before finishing preparation.
- Steel cut oats: Bring 2 cups water to a boil, in small saucepan on the stove. Reduce heat, and add oats, stirring occasionally until desired consistency (soft and liquid is well absorbed) – approximately 20 minutes.
- Transfer oats to a bowl, and stir in coconut oil, maple syrup and Vega Sport Performance Protein, until well incorporated.
- Add ½ to 1 cup non-dairy milk and mix thoroughly to reach desired consistency
- Top with banana, nuts, seeds and dried fruit
Take a look at these free running training and nutrition guides for more recipes, fueling plans, playlists, and more!
Latest posts by Emma Andrews (see all)
- 8 Must Have Muscle Building Veggies - Jun 5, 2015
- Dirty Chai Protein Shake - May 16, 2015
- A Runner’s Favorite Protein Oatmeal Recipe - May 14, 2015