Yams and sweet potatoes are so nutrient dense that I think everyone could benefit from adding more into their diets. Rich in vitamins A, C, B3, B5 and B6 as well as manganese, tryptophan, potassium and fibre. Because vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin, eating some fat with your yam will increase how much your body is able to digest and absorb. This salad has you covered.
- 1 medium yam or sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tbsp walnuts, chopped *optional
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch of Himalayan or sea salt
1. In a medium pot, place one inch of water and a steaming basket. Add your sweet potatoes, bring the water to a boil in high heat and then reduce heat to low and allow your sweet potatoes to steam. This will take between 20-35 minutes depending on how large you cut your potatoes. You want them to be fork tender all the way through when they are done.
2. When your sweet potatoes are cooked, transfer them to a bowl. Add your coconut oil and mix gently, allowing the coconut oil to melt and coat your sweet potato.
3. Add the rest of your ingredients, toss and enjoy!
Latest posts by Ali Washington (see all)
- 5 Ways to Listen to Your Body for Deeper Awareness and Personal Power - Sep 7, 2015
- Apricot Bliss Smoothie - Apr 11, 2014
- 5 Daily Detox Recipes to Keep in Your Back Pocket - Apr 4, 2014