From stress, to age, to nutrition, there are many factors that affect getting pregnant. Whether you’re thinking of getting pregnant in the next year or 3 years from now, it’s important to keep your diet as clean and nutrient dense as possible to increase your chances of conceiving and to ensure a healthy and happy baby.
There are many foods and herbs a woman can include in her diet to help balance hormones and support the process of conception. Know that diet plays a vital role long before conception even begins. Include the below recommendations in your diet to support the overall health of your body and soon-to-be baby.
1. Omega 3’s – Walnuts, hemp seeds/oil, chia seeds/oil and flax seeds are all great sources of potent omega 3 fatty acids. It’s important to consistently eat omega 3 rich foods as these fats help support hormone levels. You can also opt for an omega 3 supplement to boost your daily intake.
2. Increase Fat Intake – Omega 3’s are not the only fat we want to focus on. Other sources of quality fats include, coconut oil, olive oil and avocadoes. These are all important for hormonal health. When hormones are balanced, we have better chances of conceiving and supporting a baby, plus we help to manage PMS symptoms and balance our monthly cycle.
3. Folic Acid Rich Foods – I’m sure we all know and hear about the benefits of folic acid supplementation pre-pregnancy. Folic acid (also known as vitamin B9) can help prevent neural tube defects. You can supplement with folic acid and/or be sure to include foods rich in folic acid, such as, asparagus, broccoli, oranges, lemons and white kidney beans.
4. Maca – This Peruvian herb is incredible for balancing hormones, increasing energy, and supporting the health of the adrenals. You can find it in tincture form or powder. Adding a scoop into a morning smoothie would be a great way to start the day!
5. Nettle – This herb is an amazing uterine tonic. Plus, it contains a ton of minerals and helps support the health of the kidneys and adrenals. It’s great consumed as a tea pre, during, and post pregnancy.
6. Red Raspberry Leaf – This is a well-known fertility herb that can even be taken during pregnancy. It is loaded with minerals, especially calcium, iron, phosphorus and potassium, plus it’s a great uterine tonic, which helps prepare the uterus for birth. The tannins in this herb also help support the digestive system.
7. Dandelion – This bitter green is great for detoxifying the liver and is loaded with calcium, magnesium and Vitamin C. It’s important to include detoxifying herbs and foods in your diet to ensure you are eliminating any toxic buildup which could affect your chances of conceiving.
A nutrient dense diet, full of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins, along with an adequate intake of healthy fats and herbs will not only improve your overall health, but increase your chances of conceiving and aid in carrying a healthy baby. Ensure you are eating a clean diet and your body and health will benefit greatly.
Samantha graduated as a Registered Holistic Nutritionist from the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition; is a Hatha Yoga Instructor, Qualitarian Pioneer & holds a Bachelor Degree in World Religion and Arts.