A plant-based kimchi that’s a substitute traditional Korean side dish that often contains fish sauce or shrimp. Filled with beneficial micro-organisms and probiotics from the fermentation process, this Vegan Kimchi joins other popular fermented dishes like non-dairy yogurt, sauerkraut, kefir, and kombucha. Best part of making your own kimchi is customizing the flavor—sour or spicy, complex or simple, let your imagination go wild!
- ¼ cup salt, must be free of iodine (as it can inhibit fermentation)
- 1 head (about 2 pounds) Napa cabbage, cored and cut lengthwise into 2 inch wide strips
- 1 liter water (chlorinated water will also inhibit fermentation)
- 1 tbsp garlic, grated
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1-5 tbsp gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder)
- 8oz daikon radish, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp cane sugar (optional)
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks (optional)
- 2-3 tsp kelp powder or a few strips of seaweed cut thin (optional)
- Place the cabbage and salt into a bowl and massage until cabbage starts to soften. Cover with water. Put another bowl or a plate on top of cabbage with something heavy on top to weigh it down. Let sit for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse cabbage under cold water at least 3 times and let drain in a colander for 20 minutes.
- While cabbage is draining, combine garlic, ginger, salt, kelp powder and mix well. If using seaweed strips add when you combine everything together. Add in gochugaru into mixture to create a paste. The more you add the spicier your kimchi will be.
- Gently squeeze any excess water out of cabbage. Mix cabbage, daikon, green onions, carrots and paste together thoroughly. (Tip: you may want to wear gloves.)
- Pack kimchi into a sanitized quart jar, pressing down until; brine covers vegetables. Leave 1 inch headspace. Seal with lid lightly.
- Ferment in a warm dark spot where the vegan kimchi won’t be disturbed 1 – 5 days, Checking on kimchi everyday, tasting and pressing kimchi down below liquid.
Find More From Morgan
Vegan and Raw Food Recipes here >>
Nutrition and Health Tips here >>
Latest posts by Morgan Shupe (see all)
- Nut-Free Granola Bars with Dates, Apricot and Banana - Feb 5, 2019
- Yummy After School Snack: Peanut Butter & Jam Fruit Dip - Jan 30, 2019
- Make Your Own Homemade Coconut Cashew Yogurt without a Yogurt Maker - Jan 22, 2019