As a kid I used to love going to a community fair and chomp on a toffee apple. As much as I loved these classic treats, they would send me on a sugar high and were guaranteed to break a tooth. This is healthy alternative to the classic. In this recipe I have used walnuts to decorate but you could use anything your heart desires: popcorn, chocolate, nuts, fruits seeds.. I hope this recipe takes you back to your child hood fun filled days.
INGREDIENTS: MAKES 4 SMALL CANDY APPLES
- 4 small organic apples ( i used both green and red for colour)
- 4 sticks (I used wooden skewers)
- 1 cup of organic dates (pitted and soaked for at least an hour if not overnight)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of water (you may need a tiny bit more)
- 1 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of walnuts crushed
- 1 pinch of himalayan rock salt
- 1 block of Loving Earth Raw Vegan caramel or a healthy chocolate of your choice (dark chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon mesquite powder
- Wash your apples and place them in the fridge to cool (this helps our caramel stick to the apples)
- In a blender add your soaked dates, lemon juice, melted coconut oil, sweetener of choice, water and salt.
- Pulse the mix for 20 seconds, then push the mixture on the side down
- Blend for 30 seconds adding more water if not combining
- Scrape the mixture down the sides and blend again.
- Repeat until well combined
- Place mixture into a small bowl
- Take the apples out of the fridge and insert the skewer into the top side of the apple (the leaf and stick side)
- Dip the apple into the sauce so that half the apple is covered generously then place on baking paper stick up
- Once you have dipped all four apples place in the fridge for 10 mins to let the coconut oil set
- In a separate bowl melt half a block of the raw caramel or chocolate (by placing the bowl of caramel on top of a bowl of hot water).
- Take the set caramel apple out and dip into crushed walnuts
- Drizzle with melted caramel /chocolate over the apples then place back in the fridge until you are ready to devour them.
- Be creative, use any toppings your heart desires!Have fun with this delicious recipe- perfect as a birthday present when you present them as a bunch of candy apples!
I hope you enjoy this delicious childhood treat.
Latest posts by Amy Hotz (see all)
- Healthy Veggie Sushi Recipe - Apr 17, 2019
- Love Cherry Ripe? This Healthier Vegan Alternative Will Be An Instant Hit With Your Family! - Jun 2, 2017
- Healthy DIY: Mango and Dragon Fruit Popsicles - Jun 8, 2015