As a kid I used to love going to a community fair and chomp on a toffee apple. As much as I loved these classic treats, they would send me on a sugar high and were guaranteed to break a tooth. This is healthy alternative to the classic. In this recipe I have used walnuts to decorate but you could use anything your heart desires: popcorn, chocolate, nuts, fruits seeds.. I hope this recipe takes you back to your child hood fun filled days.
INGREDIENTS: MAKES 4 SMALL CANDY APPLES
- 4 small organic apples ( i used both green and red for colour)
- 4 sticks (I used wooden skewers)
- 1 cup of organic dates (pitted and soaked for at least an hour if not overnight)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of water (you may need a tiny bit more)
- 1 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of walnuts crushed
- 1 pinch of himalayan rock salt
- 1 block of Loving Earth Raw Vegan caramel or a healthy chocolate of your choice (dark chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon mesquite powder
- Wash your apples and place them in the fridge to cool (this helps our caramel stick to the apples)
- In a blender add your soaked dates, lemon juice, melted coconut oil, sweetener of choice, water and salt.
- Pulse the mix for 20 seconds, then push the mixture on the side down
- Blend for 30 seconds adding more water if not combining
- Scrape the mixture down the sides and blend again.
- Repeat until well combined
- Place mixture into a small bowl
- Take the apples out of the fridge and insert the skewer into the top side of the apple (the leaf and stick side)
- Dip the apple into the sauce so that half the apple is covered generously then place on baking paper stick up
- Once you have dipped all four apples place in the fridge for 10 mins to let the coconut oil set
- In a separate bowl melt half a block of the raw caramel or chocolate (by placing the bowl of caramel on top of a bowl of hot water).
- Take the set caramel apple out and dip into crushed walnuts
- Drizzle with melted caramel /chocolate over the apples then place back in the fridge until you are ready to devour them.
- Be creative, use any toppings your heart desires!Have fun with this delicious recipe- perfect as a birthday present when you present them as a bunch of candy apples!
I hope you enjoy this delicious childhood treat.
Naturopath and Creator at Amy Hotz Wellness
Amy is a Sydney based Naturopath, yoga teacher and raw food enthusiast. Her philosophy is based on earth and nature inspired health prevention, the healing power of food and the love of natural simplicity.
Latest posts by Amy Hotz (see all)
- Healthy Veggie Sushi Recipe - Apr 17, 2019
- Love Cherry Ripe? This Healthier Vegan Alternative Will Be An Instant Hit With Your Family! - Jun 2, 2017
- Healthy DIY: Mango and Dragon Fruit Popsicles - Jun 8, 2015