Buckwheat has a rich supply of flavonoids, like rutin. Flavonoids are phytonutrients that protect against disease by extending the action of vitamin C and acting as antioxidants. Buckwheat is also high in protein, fibre, gluten-free, alkalizing for the body, and high in calcium.
I’ve been making this recipe for 6 years and it is still one of my favourites because it is so versatile. If you have a dehydrator you can also dehydrate this granola for a crunchy version!
Energize with this Raw Superfood Breakfast Recipe!
- 1 cup Raw Hulled Buckwheat (soaked overnight, strained and rinsed in the morning)
- 1 cup Dried Coconut Flakes (unsweetened)
- 1 cup Seeds/Chopped Nuts: mix any Hemp, Sunflower, Pumpkin, Jungle Peanuts, Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds, Brazil Nuts
- 1/2 cup Dried Fruit (Goji Berries, Currants, Raisins – all unsulphured and without hydrogenated oils)
- 1–2 tbsp Raw Honey or Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp. Coconut Oil (to lower glycemic index and stabilize blood sugars)
- 1 tsp. Spirulina
- 1–2 tbsp. Raw Cacao Powder
- 1–2 scoops Protein Powder
- 1–2 tbsp. Maca Powder
- Orange or Lemon zest
1. Take 1 cup raw buckwheat (also called groats) and rinse under cold water. Place in large glass bowl and cover with 6 cups of water. Leave on counter overnight or for at least 6 hours, to begin the germination process.
2. In the morning, or 6 hours later, strain buckwheat with fine strainer and rinse well.
Note: Buckwheat will appear slightly slimy.
3. Ensure buckwheat is well rinsed and patted dry with paper bowl. Leave in fine strainer or sprouting tray (can be purchased online or in health food stores) with a bowl underneath for 24 hours to sprout or proceed to step 4 immediately.
4. In a large bowl, mix soaked/sprouted buckwheat with 1 cup of coconut flakes, 1 cup of nuts or seeds, 1/2 cup dried fruit, and 1-2 tablespoons sweetener plus any other additional toppings.
5. Enjoy with your favourite homemade dairy-free milks, yogurts or creams and fresh fruit! Store covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Latest posts by Rachelle Girardin (see all)
- These Raw Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes Taste Epic and Easy to Make - Mar 31, 2015
- Heal Your Gut and Boost Your Electrolytes with this Cultured Coconut Yogurt Recipe - Mar 30, 2015
- 6 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight - Mar 29, 2015